What Is the FEAR OF THE LORD?
GODLY FEAR, the Fear of the Lord, is to love and to respect God; to reverence Him and to obey His Word. When we have the fear of the Lord, God will bless us, protect us, and deliver us from all our worldly fears!
Psalm 19:9 states “The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever”, and Ps34:4, “I sought the Lord, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.”
In looking over my last four posts I can easily make myself fearful! I had written about fear and tribulation; then I reblogged posts from blogger friends in Israel who heard sirens go off as missiles and rockets were launched, some directed to Tel Aviv. And how are my 4 friends from Hawaii who recently arrived there as tourists holding up? The last words I spoke to one of them was, “Now is not a good time to visit Israel.“
Anna told about how she and other students at Tel Aviv University had to evacuate to the campus bomb shelters: http://tumbleweedintelaviv.wordpress.com
So this is when I, too, have to remind myself about the ‘Fear Nots‘ in the Bible! When afraid for yourself or others, STOP AND PRAY! Look to God’s Holy Word, the Psalms especially, for comfort and reassurance. These are more words from David, the Psalmist and his prayers for help from God:
“The Lord is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?“ (Psalm 27:1)
“Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.” (Psalm 5:1-3)
David, prayed in Psalm 61:1-3 (NIV):
“Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.“
Psalm 91 is one of my favorite Psalms:
1. He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God, in him will I trust.
3. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler and from the noisesome pestilence.
4. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust; his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor the arrow that flieth by day,
6. Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9. Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10. There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone…
13. Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet…
14. Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
16. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
Vs 14 is the key to conquering our fears- to have a LOVE relationship with God who is our Father in heaven. God says BECAUSE we love Him, He will deliver us. Vs 15 tells us that He will HEAR AND ANSWER US for that reason. This is what the fear of God is all about- loving God with our whole heart and honoring His name, giving Him the reverence due to the Holy God that He is.
Finally, we must always remember this scripture, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but (the Spirit) of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2Tim1:7)
Posted on November 16, 2012, in Enduring Love, Hearing From God And His Word, Israel and the Middle East and tagged Bomb Shelters, Don't Be Afraid, Foreign University Students from America, Gaza, God's Protection, Israeli-Palestinian Crisis, Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem, Pray for World Peace, Rockets and Missiles, Tel Aviv, The Fear of the Lord. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.